Pay It Forward parties
What is a Pay It Forward (PIF) Party?
It’s a new way for a group of people to give back by purchasing food and then gathering people together at the workplace, school, church or party to pack the food for donation to Food for Thought. The food purchased and packaged by you and your friends or colleagues is designed for portable snack bags that are distributed to homeless and in-need children throughout the 12 local schools involved with the Food for Thought program. PIF parties combine volunteerism, donation, corporate give-back in a fun atmosphere.
Food for Thought is excited to help you plan a PIF party. Before you begin, it’s important to contact us to find out about any specific needs or priorties we may have. Contact us today.
You can create a Pay it Forward party anywhere and anytime. The following are some examples of the kinds of Pay it Forward parties that are common throughout the country:
- Company Events – the “Corporate Challenge” – Local business owners and managers host a PIF Corporate Challenge for their employees by providing a match for employee food drives, or purchasing the food directly on behalf of employees, or through the involvement of customers. Teams of employees help with the bagging and assembly of the food items as well as the delivery to Food for Thought.
- Birthday Parties – Children bring a specified food item instead of a gift to the party.
- Church Small Groups – Small groups are a great way to gather and assemble food items.
- Networking Events – The PIF Snack Pack Party concept can work at a home or at a local networking event. It can be a great way to meet other business owners (or whatever common interest group you pull together).
How do you get started?
- Contact Food for Thought to let us know you are doing the party and to get suggestions for things that may be needed.
- The common snack items are Peanut Butter Crackers (high in protein!), Healthy Snack Bars, Individual Fruit Drink Containers (the low or no sugar type). All expiration dates will need to be checked to be sure nothing is expired. If things are expired, ask the donor to exchange them for unexpired items. If participants bring unexpired items that aren’t necessarily snack items, we’ll be happy to accept those items to exchange with other food providers.
- Bring snack packs into Food for Thought. Our regular hours are 9-1 Monday through Friday. Distribution to the schools happens every Thursday but the snacks can be brought in any time and will simply be distributed as quickly as possible on the next distribution cycle.